Monday, August 1, 2011

Burning Questions about Pencils

Recently the Catholic homeschoolers were emailing about their frustrations with pencils.  Several recommended buying the Ticonderoga pencils in bulk at Costco for best value.  I shared this:
I love how "Ticonderoga" pencils are immortalized by the young journaling author Ray Bradbury in his book: Dandelion Wine.  We adopted a solution for pencils based upon Family Fun's recommendation of engraved pencils in differing colors for each child.  No more fighting (!) because the green pencils will always belong to Polar Bear and they have his name stamped on them.  I have bought a set of 24 personalized pencils for each child only twice in the whole 15 years I've been homeschooling. And I had to make a rule that each child can only sharpen two pencils before morning offering, because the electric sharpener is so loud and annoying.

1 comment:

Mostly-Megan said...

I still remember my pink ones!