Saturday, January 7, 2012

Konnichi-wa to the Year of the Dragon

Although slightly past New Year's Day, my tradition was carried out for another year.
I love to celebrate by making a Japanese meal for a different family each year and and sharing with them the culture and customs of Japan. It helps me honor my friend Akemi, who is still a pen pal. And it brings back fond memories.  She stayed with our family during the summer of 1980 for a 4-H exchange. Such pictures! And I stayed with her family during the summer of 1983 in Tokyo. She was a friend who provided me with a great adventure--whilst I was "stuck" in a small-minded, small town during my teens. 
The best part was showing my souvenirs having Megan and Dale take over the two cooking woks so I could eat and tell stories around the table of 12 people. It was hard work for them to keep making tempura for a dozen eaters. But there was plenty of sticky rice and green tea, too. Later, the twins really impressed me by serving the chocolate fondue in separate serving cups/plates for dessert. (Not Japanese, but delicious repast.) So responsible of them! 

No comments: