Friday, August 8, 2008

China's Opening Ceremony

The opening ceremonies in Beijing's National Stadium were astonishing! I marveled at the synchronized oarsmen, LED screen images, and the sheer number of people in the right place at precisely the right time in the "Bird Nest." You have to applaud the Chinese for using technology in a beautiful way. The section of my brain which is OCD was smiling the whole time. Later, I had to humbly admit that I can barely coordinate my four children to wear the same outfits and go in the same direction! Winger's comment on the Olympics was priceless: "Will there be hockey at these Olympics?" Only in our family does hockey occur year-round.

Yet, there's a lump in my throat concerning the Underground Catholic Church, whose bishops and priests are still imprisoned by the Chinese government despite an announcement of reconciliation from Pope Benedict XVI more than a year ago.

No comments: