Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Favorite Things...

I spend a great deal of time in the kitchen cooking for three teenage boys, even though I try to be as efficient as possible with cleanup. I have always loved cooking and baking, and several things in my kitchen bring extra joy to the whole process (from left to right) ginger grater, pink salt from Australia, alderwood pepper, pink peppercorns, regular salt and pepper, olive oil bottle with easy-pour spout, and black pepper grinder. OK, the regular salt and pepper shakers are not very exciting. They were a wedding gift, but I love they are white (easy to clean) and large (refills needed less often).  But I am very excited about the pink salt. One pinch gives a finished flavor to my best dishes, and sometimes I splurge and sprinkle it on steamed veggies, too. The pink peppercorns give a pretty finish to any dish. The olive oil is healthy, and I tend to use it more since my Mom gave me the pretty bottle that I can set out on the island by the cook top.


Also, i love the porcelain graterfor fresh ginger (shaped like a blue fish, which was a gift from my brother Clint in his bachelor days when he was more interested in cooking). It's so easy to keep ginger root in the freezer and then grate it for my "Grilled Sesame Chicken" recipe. My family or company is always pleased when I serve it. The intense flavors are delicious, and the garlic makes this dish so addictive.
Grilled Sesame Chicken
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. white wine
1/2 c. soy sauce
1-2 T. freshly grated ginger root
1 T. dry mustard pwd.
1 t. fresh ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 c. chopped green onions (or chives)
3 T. sesame seeds
Combine all ingredients in large bowl or baggie for marinade. Seal with as many chicken breasts as you need for family and friends. Refrigerate for 2-8 hours. Remove chicken, reserving marinade. Grill over low to medium heat for 15-20 minutes, turning every 3 minutes and basting with marinade after each turn. Discard remaining marinade. Serve with wild rice.

No comments: