Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Real Old Ironsides

The teacher in me is focused on field trips this week during our vacation. I wanted to see the Boston Tea Party ships and museum, and I especially wanted to go to Boston Commons and see where the "Make Way for Ducklings" book is set. (I love the living books and authentic documents we study from K-12 with a classical curriculum.) But an even higher priority was to see the U.S.S. Constitution, which is still docked in the Boston Harbor. Perhaps it is even better known by its nickname, Old Ironsides. Part of our homeschool program is poetry recitation so when I was designing the curriculum for the PX One-Room Schoolhouse, we chose the poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes about Old Ironsides, mainly because someone donated a large, old print of this first ship commissioned by Gen. Washington in early days of USA. We felt so historic stepping aboard the frigate we had studied!

 


No comments: