Sunday, August 9, 2009

Photo from Idaho

Captain spent time in Idaho last week, with a rare and wonderful opportunity to meet up with his cousin Mike at the Sulfur Creek Ranch. Mike is also a jet pilot, and we probably haven't seen him since his wedding in 1996 or so. They met for an early breakfast and flew into the backcountry in Mike's Cessna 182. Captain said, "I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this morning’s flight! He convinced me to never sell my 182… what a great airplane. We went into places so pristine, and only accessible by grass landing strips."

Mike now serves as the director of aviation for the State of Idaho, enjoying the chance to spend more time with his wife and three children. They also shared news about their parents... "The article in Rudder Flutter brought me to a new understanding of what your dad endured during his Air Force career. I never knew the full details of his capture and never realized he was so close to death," Captain reported via email. "You must be proud and honored to have him as your father! I’m anxious to share his story with my family. I want them to appreciate the sacrifices which our parent’s generation sacrificed for our country. I hope in the future we can post some ski photos from McCall sharing the slopes with the Pape family."

No comments: