Sunday, April 25, 2010

Scorekeeping is our Religion

When I was in 6th grade, I was allowed to keep stats for my dad's high school basketball team. I must have been pretty good because I was promoted the next year to "head statistician." (It was an honor I treasured and a good title to know how to spell.) So when the job came open for scorekeeping at the adult hockey tournament, we signed up all the Schmidling family--including the 6th grade twins. Winger was the most prepared, bringing an extra pen and a list of penalties so he could spell them correctly. Dorito brought his iPod for playing hockey music between periods. Polar Bear made sure I got cash from the ATM for snacks. We finished off the day at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the NHL playoffs. It's the only time our family enjoys yelling "Hawks Win!" meaning the Chicago Blackhawks, of course, not that KU team. Let's keep it straight: Winger is pulling for the Blackhawks, Polar Bear still likes the Red Wings, and Dorito is true to the Capitals because of Ovechkin. In case you are starting to question our Sunday devotion to hockey, I will mention that we always attend mass somehow, and today was a beautiful First Communion at St. James. We took balloons for Miss Emma.

No comments: