Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Good Reads to Come

I just heard about the release of "A Daughter's Tale," the memoir of mary Soames--youngest child of Winston and Clementine Churchill. She is 90 years old; what a great accomplishment.  I actually have a chance to purchase a UK signed copy in advance of the US publication date. All thanks to my newsletter from the National Churchill Museum in Fulton, Missouri. I've become more and more interested in Churchill as I teach history to my high schoolers. And of course, Meggar and I have wonderful pictures from Chartwell when Daphne took us to his house for a tour in 2010. I'm eager to read her thoughts about the war and memories of her father. The formidable Prime Minister had just failed reelection, but in 1946, he came to Missouri with President Harry Truman and gave his "iron curtain" speech. We full intend to vist the Churchill Museum this fall--it's right on our way to St. Louis, where the twins will surely have a hockey tournament.

2 comments:

Candise and Crew said...

Candise, you are such an Anglophile! I hope you enjoy Mary Soames' book. I remember her in the war in her army uniform. We have a busy year here in the UK. As well as the Olympics, we have the Queen's Diamond jubilee -- 60 years on the throne and still working!
Many blessings to you all at Easter. Love Daphne x.

Lesa said...

How many times have I been in or near Fulton, MO and not visited this museum? Ugh! Now it's just another reason to travel 'home' via the other route. Enjoy the book, I fully expect an honest review. :)