Friday, September 26, 2008

"And Then They Came for Me" play

Eva Schloss and Ed Silverberg were REAL friends of Anne Frank. They both survived the Holocaust, although Anne did not. Here is a play that intertwines their video interviews with on-stage scenes from the War years. Powerful! Such a vivid portrayal of Jewish families who had fled to Holland and Belgium but were caught anyway. It should never happen again!

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
-Pastor Martin Niemoller

Showing at the Coterie Theatre in Kansas City now through Oct. 24.

No comments: