Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Eating with Jane Austen

It is a truth universally accepted that a woman in possession of a fine hat must be in want of a social outing. So I took my fine hat to the Farewell meeting of the Jane Austen Book Club tonight. We have eaten and discussed our way through all six novels, twice. I must say that the eight regulars have enjoyed great culinary and literary success. My grand finale was satisfying and delicious so I'm disclosing the source. (Note: I tried it before with non-alcoholic sparkling wine, but a Cab/Merlot blend definitely gave it more depth and character - which goes better with the fiction.)

Cold Raspberry Soup
2 c. frozen raspberries
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. red wine
2 c. cold water or sparkling water (I only used 1/2 cup)
Puree in food processor or blender until thoroughly combined. Chill. Serve with a garnish of fresh raspberries and mint leaves. Serves 4-6. (From the "Harvestland" Junior League Cookbook of Kansas City, 1980)

No comments: