Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bakewell Tart

In honor of tonight's Book Club, I am attempting a Bakewell Tart. I've never had it--even whilst living in England for a year. Perhaps because I never visited Bakewell in the region of Derbyshire. The traditional tart is a pastry shell spread with raspberry jam and filled with an almond pudding. Legend says it originated in 1820 by the landlady of the White Horse Inn in Bakewell, which is near Manchester. The setting of our book "Cranford" is Knutsford (where the author Elizabeth Gaskell grew up) which is about 15 miles from Manchester. So I think it's quite àpropos. I wish I still had a fluted edge pan: our wedding gift from Jutta was accidentally broken a few years back. But my springform pan will do the job. And I have black beans for "baking blind." I can't wait to taste this delicious looking treat!

No comments: