Saturday, January 23, 2010

March for Life

Although we couldn't attend this year's March for Life in D.C., we were heartened that the homily at mass was focused on it! Meggar and I were visiting Quincy University (a Catholic college run by Franciscans in Illinois) and prayed for the marchers, the politicians, the unborn, and especially for those feeling confused by an unintended pregnancy. Every year during the anniversary weekend, I am both tempted to despair and checking my urge to be overly confident.
Sunday's report in the Washington Post: "I went to the March for Life rally Friday on the Mall expecting to write about its irrelevance. Isn't it quaint, I thought, that these abortion protesters show up each year on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, even though the decision still stands after 37 years. What's more, with a Democrat in the White House likely to appoint justices who support abortion rights, surely the Supreme Court isn't going to overturn Roe in the foreseeable future. How wrong I was. The antiabortion movement feels it's gaining strength, even if it's not yet ready to predict ultimate triumph, and Roe supporters (including me) are justifiably nervous. In this case, I was especially struck by the large number of young people among the tens of thousands at the march. It suggests that the battle over abortion will endure for a long time to come." Robert McCartney is hinting at those convictions which I am confident will continue to build up a culture of life.

No comments: