Thursday, December 2, 2010

More News From K-State

Some days, you get good news and some days, it's bad news.  Yesterday, I considered it a poor choice when the K-State Landon Lecture was awarded to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.  Yes, she was governor of Kansas--which must be a more valuable resume-builder than governor of Alaska for some reason?!?  But she wasn't even from Kansas, and she graduated from KU.  (sheesh!)  There have been important Republicans also invited to speak, and I was proud to cover a couple of them for the K-State Collegian in my day.  Yesterday's topic was healthcare reform, and I just don't agree with her approach.  We've always paid our premiums, and I know it supports more than my own family.  A recent statistic shows that Medicaid pays for nearly 60 percent of all births here locally.  Families in NW Missouri are poorer than some and live babies are better than abortion, but unfortunately my tax dollars are also paying for those as well as every rash, hiccup, and runny nose.  When people begin to accept responsibility and hard work on behalf of their own families, then our healthcare system will offer care in proportion to profits.  I guess I've seen more than my share of health care in the past month.  I cannot help but wonder (as I sat for 4 hours in the E.R. and another 3 hours in the waiting room of the neurologist) how ObamaCare would improve the quality of service for my insurance dollar when the government is already bloated with no-payers.

No comments: