Friday, February 8, 2013

Fruit of the Spirit - 4

Patience (Confirmation Prep #4)
1 Timothy 1:16 -- "But for that reason I was mercifully treated, so that in me, who was the foremost sinner, Christ Jesus might display all his patience as an example for those who would come to believe in Him for everlasting life."
We see that Jesus is patient with sinners. He was VERY patient with St. Paul so we know we can trust Him to be patient with us and the salvation of all souls.  Secondly, we should model our patience on the example of Christ. Patience is the bearing of pains, troubles, misfortunes, and annoyances without anger, irritation, or complaint. Bearing means "holding up something very heavy." When you are going through difficult times, it can feel like you are carrying a heavy burden everywhere you go. Trying to have patience means that you don't get angry or complain. The Holy Spirit is there to help you see the wisdom of practicing patience. Stopping to take a deep breath helps us be patient with our words. Angry words will not help the situation, but an act of patience will work better. Let's work to be wise and patient this week!
Proverbs 19:11 -- "A wise man’s discretion makes him slow to anger, And it is his glory to overlook a transgression."
(Uncle Clint) n a related note from my own work, the Latin root of obstetrics is obstare which can be translated to wait, to be patient.  Good obstetricians are patient.  Women can be in labor for days before giving birth.  If I get impatient and try to force things, it can cause more complications and difficulties.  I have to wait until things are just right to act sometimes. It's hard for me too because I really like to be on time.  If I ever think I am patient, I just have to go through a day of seeing 20 patients to realize how limited my patience is.  

No comments: