Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Book club this month was a bit of a challenge. I finally read all of "Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass." I had tried to read it a few years back, when it was all the craze among classical homeschoolers. Too much nonsense. This time, however, I found a few enjoyable bits. I really like the Mock Turtle chapter for its play on words. What did he learn in school? Reeling and Writhing... Laughing and Grief... and don't forget they make shoes out of Soles and Eels! Lovely :-) Because of my twins, I was hoping for more humor in TweedleDee and TweedleDum. Lewis Carroll must not have known any authentic twins to write about. Ah well. Laura gave great insights about the book's background, which helped me to understand the nonsense of that mathematics professor much better -- if not clearly. Can we get back to Jane Austen? I did share all the Prom photos with the ladies!

No comments: