Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Book Club is a Delicacy

I was leader of the book club tonight, so I put it all out on the table from the start by saying:
"I don't agree with her politics;
I don't agree with her morals;
and I don't agree with her religion --
but I really like her book!"
Our discussion is always good, and I was pleased to welcome two new members. To me the three sections became personal with my own memories of traveling in Italy, praying at Shantivanam, and falling in love with Captain (albeit not Brazilian).
The sharing of food is also very important component of our Tuesday Night Book Club. My endeavor for June was to make something from Indonesia because other ladies were bringing the Italian food. I must say that my first attempt at Satay with Peanut Sauce was very successful. (Almost as good as when Andy took us to his favourite restaurant in London.) The exotic blend of flavors was just mind-boggling!
Malaysian Satay
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
small bunch of chives or lemongrass
1/2 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and grated
1 T. coriander seeds, ground in coffee grinder
1-3 t. cumin
1/2 t. turmeric or curry powder
3-4 T. soy sauce or fish sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 T. lime juice, freshly squeezed
Marinade chicken or pork. Thread on skewers. Grill or broil. (Freezes well.) Serve with peanuts, chutney, cucumbers, and peanut sauce.
Easy Peanut Sauce
1/4 c. smooth peanut butter
2 t. soy sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 T. lemon or lime juice
1/4 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. water
red chili flakes, if desired

No comments: