Thursday, August 26, 2010

Celebrating 100 Years of Mother Teresa

Benedictine College is starting a nursing degree program, and today named their renovated health building after Mother Teresa.  It would have been her 100th birthday.  Grandma Judy wanted to attend the mass and special ceremonies so we met up with her and Gr. Gerald in Atchison this morning.  "Grandma knows lots of nuns," Winger quipped as we walked in the chapel.  Three Missionaries of Charity came for the day with a relic containing a drop of Mother Teresa's blood, which we were allowed to venerate after Mass.  Such a special moment for me, who chose Teresa as my confirmation name in honor of the living saint.  I admire her heroic lifestyle (battling with depression), humility (accepting few honors), and concise comments (especially to an abortion-funding president).  Today's theme was "Do Something Beautiful for God." My dad leaned over and said he remembered that I put a Mother Teresa quote in my Graduation speech.  Do you think I can get the Mother Teresa stamp at my local post office?  I have assigned the twins a "Current Events" report based on the newspaper articles leading up this event.  Grandma says she wants to see a copy of what they write. Afterwards, we all treated Andrew to lunch at Marigold's to let him in on a Schmidling tradition!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is among the most significant info for me.
And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things,
The web site style is perfect, the articles is really nice :
D. Good job, cheers

Also visit my web page mother teresa quotes