Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Election Day Coverage

I got up at 5 a.m. so the polls could open at 6:00, which seems unnecessary to me.  If you have to vote before 7 a.m. then why not get an absentee ballot sent to your house?  Meggar and I voted one day early, and it was fun to go to the Courthouse together and do our duty to the democracy.  Working at the polls gave me a nice opportunity to see several neighbors.  But with only 30% turnout at my precinct, that means 7 out of 10 didn't get out of their air-conditioned house to go vote.  I've also never paid attention to how much elections cost until this primary.  There were 8 election judges, and we each made slightly more than $120 for the day.  Of course, 4 were Republican and 4 were Democrats to keep it fair.  But we didn't actually need 8 people to handle only 631 voters who came through in those 13 hours.  What a waste.  Plus the cost of the ballots and equipment.  I suspect it's $3 per vote--not counting the Co. Clerk's staffing.  I'm just frustrated because DeStefano lost to Schaaf in the state senate race.

No comments: