Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Virginian Rides Well With Book Club

I forgot to describe our February book club, but not because I didn't enjoy the book!  It was a romantic western called "The Virginian" by Owen Wister.  Written in 1902, it was wildly popular for its dialect of the Wild West cowboy, and it remains popular today as a classic.  I was expecting a Louis L'Amour tale, but this was lighter and more comedic.  For the month of February, it was a perfect love story to discuss:  a brave cowboy falling in love with an east-coast school teacher at the one-room schoolhouse over fine literature.  Miss Molly introduces the Virginian to Shakespeare, Sir Walter Scott, and even Jane Austen!  I was hooked.  Even Uncle Howie finally gets married and has TWINS.  Guess it makes me eager for my own chivalrous man-with-high-character to come home.  Two more days!

No comments: