Monday, October 17, 2011

Book Club

I forgot to post about last month's book club (on Sept. 20) when we discussed "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. Laura wanted to read this author after her trip to Ireland, but I don't think she expected a moralizing tale because he is known for his witty comedies.  This book also had satire and irony, but it is not humorous. I read it years ago and knew Dorian sold his soul to the devil, so that the painting would age instead of himself. The "horror" is looking at the effects of his sinful life every time he saw the painting. It gave a view better than looking in the mirror! For me, I was trouble that several members of our book club know good from evil but don't think it matters (i.e. they are anti-religious). These attitudes skew the discussion of such a tale. But it was challenging nonetheless.

No comments: