Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Visiting the Rotary Club

In an effort to raise support for the One-room Schoolhouse, I went to the East Side Rotary luncheon today. We still need furnishings for the interior, such as slates and maps and an old dictionary. (Yes, they had Webster's before 1860.) Visiting Rotary clubs and giving a speech/slideshow takes me back to 1989 in London. For my first speaking engagement then, I took the wrong train. And in the days before cell phones, that was not easily remedied. Rotarians are resourceful and so are Rotary scholars.  I was fetched before the pudding, so everything ended well.  Going to Rotary meetings is always interesting because they are witty, and this club was no exception. Mr. Sergeant-at-Arms hid his napkin in the bell so the president had trouble calling the meeting to order. Then he led a trivia game after lunch in order to increase the fines he could levy. Overall, my report was well received, so I am hopeful for donation$ to increase.

No comments: