Friday, July 25, 2008

40th Anniversary of Humanae Vitae

Pope Paul IV took pen in hand against the modern culture of 1968. My husband and I read his encyclical which is celebrated today, Humanae Vitae, during our engagement -- but we were brainwashed before that. I grew up with Catholic parents who were some of the first to learn from Drs. John and Evelyn Billings. For years, I babysit my brothers downstairs while an NFP class was being taught upstairs. Of course, we overheard bits and pieces. In my teen years, I caught the beauty of the message by listening to Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul the Great. In our married vocation, we know some of the fruits of living the way God designed for man and woman. We find freedom comes from doing the right thing, especially in regard to the Church's teaching on married love and the regulation of birth. "It has always been a source of great joy to them, even though it sometimes entails many difficulties and hardships," Pope Paul wrote as he addressed his flock with compassion. We salute his courage and feel blessed by his wisdom.

No comments: