Saturday, July 26, 2008

Grandma Is Moving On

After her birthday, Gr. Elizabeth decided to make some changes so she is moving back to Colorado Springs today. She has a widow friend who needs a roommate and her old job will use her part-time so that encouraged her. She has been loving toward our children, helpful around our house, and careful not to step on any toes. It was not as bad as the phrase "living with your mother-in-law all summer." For my part, I sometimes felt like I was living in a Jane Austen book these past three months. Considering how in the 1800s women's lives were confined mostly indoors and included long hours together in the parlor, I could not complain when Gr. Elizabeth wanted to linger at the table after lunch and supper. Those extra half-hours were her time to chat or vent and drink tea. I learned more family history than Captain ever told me (probably because he's the only boy in a family of five sisters and was oblivious to some of the emotional ups and downs). I saw her grow spiritually under our roof. And she grew in self-confidence by having the time to reflect on her past decisions. Of course, the lack of TV in our house lends itself to contemplative time. She also spent a fair amount of time outdoors (which was healing!) and in the pool (which was good exercise!). I am praying for her to stay close to the Lord in this next phase of her life.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Grandma Elizabeth sounds like a true saint. I admire your ability to look way beyond the dysfunction and focus on the positive side of her stay with you. You, therefore become the saint and your life is perfect.