Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hero on the Hudson


This week's news was full of the "Miracle on the Hudson" when a US Airways plane was safely set down on the Hudson River by Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger III. Sully and his co-pilot had a crisis on their hands because a flock of birds knocked out both engines, which he said felt like “a flock of bowling balls.” Quick thinking and calm waves helped him land safely, and all 155 passengers were rescued. Jets almost never ditch in water without breaking apart. Pilots seldom make perfect crash landings, and my Captain says that Captain deserves 155 Christmas cards for the rest of his life. Here are the emails from my husband as we discussed the big news.
D: "My emotions are full this week as I read this story and watched the video. I only pray to God that he will be by my side in the event that I am challenged with an emergency of this magnitude. Each time someone asks me about the Hudson landing and what my thoughts are about the pilot I say, "Every good pilot has the grace of God to calmly and safely work through an emergency."

C: "I saw the interview Katie Couric did with the Hudson Captain. I also liked the comments that readers sent in at the bottom of the CBS web page. You are a good pilot like that. Calm and resourceful. But like Sully said, it came at a great price so that he and his family are not quick to recommend pilot jobs to future generations."
D: "This is why I go to training every year....to be safe and live a long life." Then he sent me the picture of the Airbus being hauled through the streets.

No comments: