Thursday, March 22, 2012

Art Class Paints Crucifixion

For our monthly art co-op class, I chose for the older students to copy Fra Angelico's Crucifixion with St. Dominic. I used Ana's suggestion for a close-up cropping of the Sacred Head and its crown of thorns. There were 8 painters + me. Luckily, I had plenty of egg carton cups for mixing paints, and many brushes accumulated over the years of homeschool projects.

This project was great for Lent, and would give them practice in mixing paint colors and sketching a head-down perspective. I was also determined to paint too, and show them my suggestions along the way.
Dorito painted a smaller and more detailed Christ, adding clouds and a ray of sunlight from heaven. He also featured more drops of blood.
Polar Bear worked on his longer once we got home, changing the once too-skinny arms to better reflect the overall scale. Plus he made a shinier halo and crown with more thorns. Once the paint is dry, it is fairly easy to correct/change.

Winger really enjoyed making a dark blue background, and carefully took his time to fill in the spaces completely.
My own "masterpiece" with a green background instead of blue. The splotch of sunlight is a camera effect, not my painting goof. I must say this was a fun and personally fulfilling class!

1 comment:

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

I am very impressed with your results! Especially yours, Candise!

This week we will work on an Easter craft I came up with. Bake able clay milifiore technique covering wood eggs from a craft store. Wish me luck! I have almost 30 students.