Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fans of Churchill

This week's task for my high school students was writing a paper about our visit to the Winston Churchill Museum (where the Iron Curtain speech was delivered). This assignment keeps my students writing (which is good practice) and also counts for a Boy Scout patch (which is good motivation). They didn't complain and they did a fine job.  Note: I always start the year gunning for the required paper topics and essays due to turn into Kolbe Academy for report cards, but never make as strong of a finish toward the end of the year. Let's hope my determination and their enthusiasm continues!
Churchill is quite an amazing figure of fortitude, and one of my all-time favorites. A little books his quotes sits beside my computer monitor for inspiration and humor. "Prime Minister Chamberlain looked at foreign affairs through the wrong end of a municipal drainpipe."

We do not own a bust of Churchill, and if we did, I would not send it back. (Apparently this is only an urban legend as the British Embassy loaned the bust to Bush Jr. and it was sent back when he was not re-elected. What a pity.)

No comments: