Friday, October 1, 2010

Catholic Homeschooling in Little Ways

This is my 13th year of homeschooling in this city, and the number of Catholic homeschool families is roughly the same as it always has been. But it is rare that we do something collectively.  Today was one of those chances with a Mass at St. James celebrated on the Feast of St. Therese, the Little Flower.  I guess it's appropriate that her motto was doing little works for love of Jesus.  That's the way academics work at our homeschool, and the way it works with our group spread among three local parishes.  My grand ideas of Catholic co-ops and shared core subjects have not come to fruition (with occasional spurts and stops every odd year or so).  So I am content with the participation today.  My twins were acolytes with Max; I played the organ with Emma as my announcer;  and Dorito was lector (for the first time).  He said, "I'm never doing that again, Mom."  But I was proud of his efforts and bravery.  Afterwards we enjoyed a potluck breakfast, and the coffee always seems to taste better among friends.  I guess it's because I don't have coffee very often, nor do I linger over it with other homeschoolers very often. All day I shall try to relish the blessing of little things in life.

No comments: