Thursday, October 14, 2010

Finishing Another Read-Aloud

Homeschoolers like to talk about the value of Read-Alouds, and I like when we finish another good one. Today we came to the end of "Just David," a reprinted classic by Whole Heart Press and Sally Clarkson.  I think she started writing books for homeschool moms when I started homeschooling... and I liked her academics-with-tea approach then--and now.  So, I probably bought this book 10 years ago, because of my own son with the same name.  But I read other stories that were suited to our studies and age range.  Until this year.  It's ironic that the main character also plays violin (just like my Winger).  And he is gentler than the modern world around him (just like my Winger).  His violin music is the main theme of the story and of his charm over the people of the small town where he is an orphan.  Of course, I cried at the end because it was so beautiful!  But we wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much at our younger ages. *spoiler* There is a Stradivarius discovery in the final chapter!

No comments: