Friday, April 8, 2011

Loving the Librarian

I have two reasons to love librarians:
FIRST--this week one of them gave me a free copy of a Murder Mystery Dinner script (which run $25-$65 online) for our upcoming Prom.
SECOND--we started a new read-aloud at home which a librarian gave to me in 4th grade: "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franweiler."  Everyone here is thrilled with this story of a sister and brother who run away to the Metropolitan Art Museum in New York City and try to solve the mystery of the Michaelangelo statue.  This book won a Newbery Medal in 1968, and my librarian in grade school encouraged me to read all the Newbery books on her shelves.  Which I did.  I was always an obedient girl, you see!  Except when I was caught reading after bedtime with my nigh-light on.  But those books have stuck with me all these years, and I've tried to squeeze most of them into my children's lives.  Just now, I did a quick check of the Newbery list (since 1922) and it revealed that I have read 25 medal winners and 25 honor books, plus I own 24 more that we haven't gotten to yet.  Great literature and libraries are a treasure. Thank goodness Ben Franklin invented libraries!
Addendum:  The prologue mentions that Mrs. Elaine L. Konigsburg received her Newbery Medal at the Muehlebach Hotel right here in Kansas City!

No comments: