Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fruit of the Spirit #8

Mildness -- Fruit of the Spirit #8 
(the Greek translates mildness as gentleness or meekness)
Mildness is having a gentle disposition and gracious behavior toward others. Your disposition is your internal emotions and what you think - starting with God, with yourself, and reflecting outward toward how gentle you are in return to others. Mildness of spirit is not having a weak spirit. Instead it is a gentle layer on top of convictions which are as strong as steel. It is NOT acting spineless in trying to find goodness or looking foolish for your faith or even giving up/surrendering to a passive position. Instead, mildness of spirit comes when we look at situations with maturity and realize whose side God is on. We can judge promptly and react reasonably because we know Christ is in control. We are so full of hope that we can live without resentment or seeking revenge. This Bible verse tells us that when we seek mildness through prayer and imitation of Christ, then God will use that time to refresh us! 
Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls. For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.” 

No comments: