Our new friends in Nashville treated us to their Southern hospitality. The Bolsters have a lovely home--right next to Scott Hartnell (!)--built in 1912. Best of all was the creme-brulee-tasting dessert. Here is Alice's recipe:
Egg Custard Pie
5 whole eggs
1 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. whole milk
1/2 t. salt
1. Beat eggs well then gradually add sugar.
2. Beat in vanilla and salt then add cream and milk.
3. Mix on high speed for 1 minute.
4. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
5. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
6. Bake 350' F for 40-45 minutes. Careful not to overbake.
(Mini tarts can bake for 10 minutes.)