I'm a sucker for lemons (pun intended) and so is my oldest son Dorito. So I wanted something special for Geiger's Family Night. Our supper will be featuring this light and lemony dessert tonight. I actually found two online recipes and had to choose -- so I went with the one with the cutest blogger name: Something Swanky. But if you take time to examine the ingredients of the other recipe, they are pretty identical.
Lemon Poke Cake
1 lemon cake mix (bake according
to directions with one extra egg
and milk in place of water)
1 batch of lemon curd (recipe below)
1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1. Bake cake in 9x13 pan.
2. Make Lemon Curd
1 c. lemon juice (fresh is best)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. melted butter
*Whisk together all ingredients in large bowl (deep as it might bubble over)
*Microwave for up to 6-10 minutes, stopping EVERY minute to stir. Stop when thickened.
*Pour lemon curd into heavy zip-lock bag and seal.
*Fill bowl with ice water and submerge the bag of lemon curd. Chill in freezer for 10 minutes to cool and thicken.
3. While cake is still warm, use a skewer or chop stick to poke holes about 1-inch apart.
4. Pour lemon curd over the warm cake, aiming to fill in the holes. Use spatula to spread evenly.
5. Spread with Cool Whip layer. Sprinkle with chips and pecans.
6. Drizzle with any remaining lemon curd on top.
7. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.