Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday

Today, I am seriously thinking about Lent. And Catholic life. And suffering. It was exactly ten years ago during Lent that my family stood with me for cancer surgery and radiation. It was a very good Good Friday, once I was completely done.
This Lent will be similar in that my husband is walking a path of medical treatment that is difficult. Yesterday, he received the Sacrament of Anointing before noon mass. Tomorrow, he will have an MRI of the chest/heart as a precaution. The actual surgery on Friday is not too scary, but nearly everything about our daily lives will be altered. Lord, help us as we are starting all over.
Captain's patron saints are Pope St. Leo the Great (confirmation) and St. Francis of Assisi (baptism). It is such a consolation to have the Communion of Saints to show us that sacrifices are valuable when  joined to the redemption of Christ.

No comments: