Thursday, March 20, 2014

Children's Books

I don't think children's books should be written "down" for children. The best authors agree with me. (Or vice versa.)
I remember reading where Madeline L'Engle said something along those same lines. Her statement was printed on the dust jacket of the book I was reading about age 13. She was my favorite author around the summer of 1978, and I thought I was grown up enough to agree with her sentiments: "You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children." I thought her books were amazing--and difficult--and spiritual. So I loved reading savoring them. She wrote 60 books, and they won awards from 1949-1999 (whoa! to think I've only read 5 of her books so far...).
The same seems true for Beatrix Potter's approach to children's literature. Her books remain on the list of beloved classics. So I was pleased to read that Emma Thompson has signed a 3-book contract with Potter's publisher, including The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit (he goes to Scotland on McGregor's wagon-2012) and The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit (he saves the turkey from the feast-2013). The bonus for me is not that I will read about Peter's adventures to any of my children, but that I simply admire Emma Thompson. She stole my heart by writing a screenplay of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. By the way, Thompson is the only person (male or female) to win an Academy Award both for writing ("S&S") and acting ("Howards End"). I'm a bit behind on the Peter Rabbit news, but I am still eager to see Thompson as she portrays another literary figure in "Saving Mr. Banks" (hopefully will soon be released by Redbox in US).
Carrot and Radish earbobs
These are the pleasant tidbits that I picked up today in a magazine article at the doctor's office. One of the great benefits to waiting with Captain is I can read something short and worthwhile.

No comments: