Saturday, July 3, 2010

Something Borrowed, Something Blue

My parents hosted an Engagement Party last night for Kathryn & Clint. I was in charge of the desserts and brought a Blackberry Cobbler as the "something blue" for the bride. We had been blueberry picking recently with other homeschoolers so I tossed in a few blueberries to make my double-size pan absolutely full to the brim. I used three batches of pastry dough to get a really thick and authentic crust for all that bubbly fruit. And my stand-by for the crumb topping comes from a copy-cat recipe for Godfather's Dessert Streusel Pizza. It works lovely on pies (this photo is from last week) and muffins, and since the topping is shelf-stable, I can keep it on hand and that makes everything easier and faster in the kitchen!
Streusel Topping
1 2/3 c. flour (sifted)
2/3 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. butter flavored shortening stick
1/4 c. buttery flavored oil
Beat well together. Store in air-tight container. Makes 3 batches.
Blueberry picking is a family tradition for us Schmids, and I meant to blog about it last week. We usually go on July 4th whenever Captain was away for a NASCAR race and our other friends were busy with their families. It was something all my kids could do, berries are within easy reach for any age, and no thorns makes them pleasant for picking. The abundant rain this year made for a bountiful crop. It was unbelievable how the branches sagged under the weight of berries. More berries than I've ever seen at picking time. I like to use this opportunity to teach about the meaning of "bounty," especially because it is in our daily meal grace. The visual at hand clearly illustrates the term. Someone planted one tiny seed or seedling bush, and now we are harvesting enough for several families from what God provided for "free." 15 pounds in one hour. From thy bounty.

No comments: