Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Queen's Jubilee Craft at Book Club

 I devised a tea bag craft  as a commemorative book mark in honor of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. The celebrations in Britain have already begun in advance of her 60th anniversary on the throne June 3, 2012.
There was an ornament in the Jane Austen Centre gift shoppe online, plus I wanted to use some postage stamps from my pen pals in England (I have kept all of the letters since 1989)...
So I imagined a felt-stylized tea bag with a crown on the front and a Union Jack on the back, and we attached the postage stamps with embroidery flass to represent the tag. Such fun results! Instead of diamonds, we used pretty buttons.
This went well with our book club discussion of the Scottish spy novel "The Thirty-Nine Steps" by John Buchan. He was one of the earliest "man-on-the-run-plot" writers with plenty of double backs, twists, and improbable turns. Hitchcock turned it into a famous movie (1935) and borrowed many of Buchan plot devices for other films.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these. I think I am reduced to celebrating the Jubilee with a simple cup of tea on the 3rd.
Love,
Lisa